I found this recipe in a vintage magazine and was immediately intrigued. Caramel Popcorn cookies? Who knew? But it’s super easy and goes fast. For the popcorn, I used Vic’s. Seems silly to buy popcorn when I have plenty of Orville in the pantry, but the Vic’s kernels were smaller, not as round as Orville’s. I’m glad I did. I think 3 cups of big popcorn would have overwhelmed the dough.
That said, I want to make this again using caramel corn instead of popcorn and crushed candies. Maybe even switch out the butter for Butter-flavored Crisco. Stay tuned . . .
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup finely crushed hard caramel candies (I used Werther's)
- 3 cups popped popcorn
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In large bowl, combine sugar, brown sugar, butter and vanilla. Cream with a mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs and beat until just mixed.
- Add flour, baking soda and salt. beat until well combined.
- Gently stir crushed candy and popcorn into dough. Drop tablespoons of dough 2 inches apart on cookie sheets lined with parchment or non-stick mat.
- Bake 10 - 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Yield: 4 dozen cookies